YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

MVFC after the initial week

(1/12) > >>

Wick250:
Some surprising developments after week 1.  The three teams with the most hype all got off to less than stellar starts.  Illinois State looked inept against Iowa, despite the two dangerous weapons in their backfield.  The 31-14 score is misleading as they got two late touchdowns against Iowa's reserves in garbage time.  Northern Iowa was even more inept against lowly (by FBS standards) Iowa State, getting crushed 31-7.  And for those of you that missed this, Montana at home lost to Cal Poly, 20-19, on a last second field goal.  That is the same offense that torched NDSU.  Montana also gave up 330 yards on the ground.  Remember how bad NDSU running backs looked in that contest.

The middle of the conference did quite well.  SDSU scored at will against a very bad (by FBS standards) Kansas team.  Southern Illinois lost a shootout to Indiana, although Indiana suspended nine players just before the kickoff.  Western Illinois had an easy time with a bad Eastern Illinois team.

Bottom line.  The MVFC looks not only tough but wide open.

ysufan0505:
I agree, I was really surprised Illinois St did not give Iowa a better game. Thought they might even be able to pull out the W. UNI also shocked me as well getting smacked around. MVFC is wide open boys.

Penguin Nation:
Instead of saying EIU is bad, I'd say mediocre.  WIU ripped them, and we lost to WIU last season.  This year we play them away and we will have our hands full.  There are no easy games in the MVFC.  We only beat Misery St by one score last year.  The only reason SIU lost to Indiana was the decision not to go for the PAT and a tie.  NDSU lost a lot of their D to graduation, and now have an Achille's heel to exploit. 

As far as YSU goes, some of our deficiencies improved, and some of our strengths have weakened.  Overall we are going to be more competitive in the MVFC, but can only afford two more losses in eight games...a tall order.  3 MVC losses may get us in....esp w/ MEAC forgoing post-season....but no guarantees.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Looking ahead to our 1st conference opponent South Dakota. Probably the funniest thing in this shutout defeat to K-State was the marching bands performance. K-State led in overall yardage 330-260 and returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. The numbers could be somewhat deceiving because the K-State Qb got injured early on and did not return. Still the South Dakota Qb played well, and their defense did a pretty good job in the Red zone. The coyotes running game really struggled and only averaged 1.7 a carry. This is a game we can't take lightly

The YO Show:
There are no easy games in the MVFC. I'm hoping Bo Pelini won't let the team take any team lightly, even Robert Morris or Saint Francis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version