YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Fall Practice Updates

<< < (14/19) > >>

ysufan0505:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 29, 2015, 02:01:37 PM ---Absolutely! I feel for Jalyn Powell. He transferred while getting (some) playing time at Michigan State. He comes here and doesn't make the two deep! I have a feeling this is a telling sign of how much improved the secondary will be this year, and the overall depth our defense has.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely, my thinking as well.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: ysufan0505 on August 29, 2015, 05:05:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 29, 2015, 02:01:37 PM ---Absolutely! I feel for Jalyn Powell. He transferred while getting (some) playing time at Michigan State. He comes here and doesn't make the two deep! I have a feeling this is a telling sign of how much improved the secondary will be this year, and the overall depth our defense has.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely, my thinking as well.

--- End quote ---

Or he is high maintenance

Wick250:
I have been very impressed by the way Pelini has handled his players from the moment he arrived on campus.  He ran off nobody, in sharp contrast to his predecessor.  He announced open competition for positions during spring ball and really meant it.  Now that competition has extended into fall practice, exactly as it should.  Everybody earns playing time; nothing is freely granted. 

For five years on the defensive side of the ball, we saw good athletes who could not or would not PLAY TOGETHER AS A UNIT.  I suspect that players that are more readily buying into his system are now sitting in comfortable positions on the depth chart.

YSUGO:
Since I haven't seen a practice I am not going to speculate on why Powell isn't in the 2 deep.  Let's see after week 3 or 4 where he is. 

ysufan0505:
I was surprised to see Cody Squiric ahead of Kromah on the depth chart. Obviously is doesn't mean too much at this point. I see a lot of rotating on the D-Line but Kromah has started every game the last 2 years. Squiric is a big, strong kid. Young though...

As scalzo stated, Dubem got surpassed although that could be because of injury but Lee Wright was always a guy I found interesting. Transfer from App State, pretty athletic kid. Jamar Pinnock is at the other LB spot. I watched his tape from JUCO. This kid can hit and tackle well. Like the moves Pelini is making on defense!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version