YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!

<< < (4/7) > >>

edpuskas:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on August 03, 2015, 11:00:46 PM ---I don't think there is a conspiracy just don't want to give the competition any advantage.  Do you really think the Beacon would post a big pic and article of one of our local guys and talk about YSU football as the lead article on Sunday. Anyways I do think coverage has been a lot more informative and inciteful.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Passing that on to Joe.

That said, I'm not sure how a feel-good piece about Jordan Italiano being named the smartest player in college football gives Kent State an advantage over YSU or anyone else. It is what it is — a nice story about a local kid doing well. Jordan is a good kid who deserved some publicity.

I know the SE at the ABJ. I'll ask him if they'd do a story on, say, a kid from Hoban or SVSM being named the smartest kid in college football while playing at YSU. But I suspect I know what his answer will be.

guinpen:
First I did not see the paper, canceled the Vindy long ago. I am guessing that if a high school player in Columbus went to Michigan he would be given the same, yep hold your breathe on that one.

This is real simple Youngstown State - Youngstown Vindy, anyone not see the connection? Hey best of luck to the kid, really, but second or third page.

IAA Fan:
You guys are being a just a bit too harsh. I get the Dispatch and the Vindy. If a local player was playing at a Big-6 college, he would have good Dispatch coverage. Probably not if he attended YSU or Kent. I do not see any agenda here.

edpuskas:

--- Quote from: guinpen on August 04, 2015, 12:34:01 AM ---First I did not see the paper, canceled the Vindy long ago. I am guessing that if a high school player in Columbus went to Michigan he would be given the same, yep hold your breathe on that one.

This is real simple Youngstown State - Youngstown Vindy, anyone not see the connection? Hey best of luck to the kid, really, but second or third page.

--- End quote ---
You're going to compare YSU, Kent State and The Vindicator to Ohio State, Michigan and The Dispatch? When was the last time YSU and KSU played? Other than the Penguins and Golden Flashes occasionally chasing the same recruits, they are no longer rivals. The dynamics at play in Youngstown vs. Columbus are not comparable at all.

But to answer your question, sure, if a Columbus kid was good enough and received national recognition, why wouldn't The Dispatch write about him even if he went to Michigan? You don't think The Plain Dealer ever featured Desmond Howard or Elvis Grbac when they were at Michigan? I'm sure there have been Columbus kids who went to Michigan and still made The Dispatch from time to time. But I guess by your standards, no media in the Valley should ever have done anything on Mario Manningham, Fitzgerald Toussaint or De'Veon Smith because they had the audacity to play for the Wolverines.

Also ... you do know that YSU camp did not even start until today, right? The dog days of summer are made for those kind of feel-good local stories. If you have a problem with such a story, frankly, it says more about you than it does about the paper you admit you don't even read.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 04, 2015, 03:47:59 PM ---You guys are being a just a bit too harsh. I get the Dispatch and the Vindy. If a local player was playing at a Big-6 college, he would have good Dispatch coverage. Probably not if he attended YSU or Kent. I do not see any agenda here.

--- End quote ---

I am surprised but I will take your word for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version