YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Thoughts on Ways to Engage Students and Fanbase?

<< < (8/11) > >>

go guins:
There are several good ideas here.  Personally I'm not in favor of trying to "incentivize" students to come/stay.  Most are attending on scholarship or "daddy's" money, and one winner won't encourage much.  However the band selection comments seem relevant, and the PA is just as bad or worse.  We get the introduction to an AC/DC song 20 times a game and never the song, even if you were an AC/DC fan this sucks.  But AC/DC isn't football and it isn't contemporary for kids either. The PA guy is stuck in 1979! 
Personally I think band concerts (not marching) following might be worth a try.  Once or twice a season. Personally my family is more likely to come if we have fireworks after the game.  Look at Cle Indians attendance for fireworks.

Karl Hungus:
I would prefer the firewowks on the field with YSU winning some important home games. :)

robmat2571:
I personally am impressed with the improvements of the YSU Pride MB in the past few years.  The previous director totally killed the band.  The current guy seems to have things moving in the proper direction.  Back in the 80's and early 90's students received a stipend to be in the MB.  Bring those back and watch the band grow even further:)  Just my 2 cents!

ScarletRook:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 04, 2015, 10:59:53 AM ---There are several good ideas here.  Personally I'm not in favor of trying to "incentivize" students to come/stay.  Most are attending on scholarship or "daddy's" money, and one winner won't encourage much.  However the band selection comments seem relevant, and the PA is just as bad or worse.  We get the introduction to an AC/DC song 20 times a game and never the song, even if you were an AC/DC fan this sucks.  But AC/DC isn't football and it isn't contemporary for kids either. The PA guy is stuck in 1979! 
Personally I think band concerts (not marching) following might be worth a try.  Once or twice a season. Personally my family is more likely to come if we have fireworks after the game.  Look at Cle Indians attendance for fireworks.

--- End quote ---

Good points!  However, I know several current YSU students that have some academic money but are paying the majority of their own way.  The PA system is sad at best, but is always worse during the games.  Maybe it is broadcast from the McDonalds drive-thru across the street.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: robmat2571 on August 04, 2015, 05:30:59 PM ---I personally am impressed with the improvements of the YSU Pride MB in the past few years.  The previous director totally killed the band.  The current guy seems to have things moving in the proper direction.  Back in the 80's and early 90's students received a stipend to be in the MB.  Bring those back and watch the band grow even further:)  Just my 2 cents!

--- End quote ---

Ditto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version