YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Thoughts on Ways to Engage Students and Fanbase?

<< < (7/11) > >>

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Very good post by YSUGO. I know they have 2 kids days planned and more events like that should be added to the promotional schedule lIke a punt, pass and kick contest. A later start time for the games wouldn't hurt. Look at all the J.V. football games in Northeast ohio that start at 10 in the morning or later. Plus the majority of varsity players attend those games as well. I would contact all the varsity football coaches within a 60 mile radius and offer them a promotional deal all the way down to their youth programs and throw in free concessions along with a free Y.S.U. tee shirt. Interest needs to start from the outside and the bottom up

IAA Fan:
All great ideas,;although I would not require marching band. Many serious musicians do not have the time or the "lip" to spare. There are plenty of former HS band kids that are not music majors ...this is where you need to pull from ...increase the stipend & get some instruments for the students that not longer have their own.

Above all ... PLEASE PLAY MARCHES AND FORGET THIS POP MUSIC CRAP. If I want to hear Journey, I can pop in a CD. Play songs I do not get on the radio station. It does not have to be only JP Sousa; there are many good songs that get a crowd going. Look at "Minnie the Moocher" before the 4th quarter? We have Dana, do you mean to tell me that we cannot get some k**k a** routines and original scores? Drummers ...get with the program. I expect to hear a new cadence every week!!

Wick250:
IAA Fan,

Expecting a MARCHING BAND to play MARCHES instead of pop garbage.  You really are some kind of radical. :)

The band needs to develop a signature song that is appropriate for football.  As I recall, you favor the classic by Manfred Mann.  And the band needs to play the signature march (composed by a Dana graduate,), March Grandioso, which has been stolen by the University of Texas.

ScarletRook:
I would be happy if the marching band played something other than the same songs every game.
These kids have a lot of talent and it is not being shown on the field.
I do think the band got more involved in the games last year than several previous seasons.
We need every facet of the university community involved in improving attendance.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on August 02, 2015, 11:52:49 PM ---IAA Fan,

Expecting a MARCHING BAND to play MARCHES instead of pop garbage.  You really are some kind of radical. :)

The band needs to develop a signature song that is appropriate for football.  As I recall, you favor the classic by Manfred Mann.  And the band needs to play the signature march (composed by a Dana graduate,), March Grandioso, which has been stolen by the University of Texas.

--- End quote ---

I did not know that Seitz is a Dana guy ...great info. Something that I know the Ohio State band does is march without their woods. At that point they are the largest brass band in the world and travel extensively.

The Mighty Quinn was something that YSU did for years when I was a kid ..at least that I can remember.

So I think you hit the nail on the head Wick ...we have our songs/pieces

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version