YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Cleveland.com article: Football dominates Youngstown State's athletic budget

(1/3) > >>

Penguin Nation:
From cleveland.com:

Football dominates Youngstown State's athletic budget, even at the FCS level

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/07/youngstown_state_-_draft.html

Two excerpts:

"The football travel bill of $390,186 was about as much as that for the seven other men's sports combined."

"Three-quarters of the ticket money was from football."

My two cents:  MVFC membership is costly with little/no ROI.  When the NCAA dust settles...and especially if MVFC teams continue to stay home while inferior teams get at-large playoff invites....this needs to be re-evaluated.

Also, fix MBB...lots of lost revenue there.

penguinpower:
Cancel all other sports and send everything to football.  It is the only sport that matters.

DoubleE:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on July 29, 2015, 03:02:09 PM ---Cancel all other sports and send everything to football.  It is the only sport that matters.

--- End quote ---

make cheerleading a sport and you got title nine covered

ScarletRook:
Two excerpts:

"The football travel bill of $390,186 was about as much as that for the seven other men's sports combined."

Well no sh*t Sherlock.  Football travels more players than any other sport - plus add in all of the additional political people who travel with them.  The equipment alone takes up more space than most teams combined.

"Three-quarters of the ticket money was from football."

Besides men's BB what other sport charges admission?

--- Quote ---Also, fix MBB...lots of lost revenue there.
--- End quote ---
[/i]

Agree

--- Quote ---make cheerleading a sport and you got title nine covered
--- End quote ---

And have Les Wexner design the uniforms from his Victoria Secrets catalog.

The YO Show:
Penguin Nation, I respectfully disagree. I believe that the MVFC does indeed have a decent ROI and realigning to anther conference, at least now, would be a mistake. Take into consideration the fact that the football spending in total is $3.8 million (from the article), the travel costs (arguably the only disadvantage and extra expense for us in the MVFC due to all the far away travel) are basically 10 percent our overall football costs.

If you join another conference, you will only reduce your overall expense by a couple percent. Not really all that much, and you are losing all the extra prestige that comes with being in the MVFC. I am not sure that is worth the tradeoff at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version