YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The Akron Zips FB program

(1/10) > >>

Penguin Nation:
Whatever tiny piece of me that wanted YSU to join the MAC and play in the FBS is now gone after reading about the money UA is hemorrhaging due to FB.  The University is actually buying tickets to avoid being kicked out of the FBS.

The article mentions YSU:

"Even Youngstown State University, which plays in the lower Football Championship Subdivision, reported drawing 84,669 fans for seven games — an average of 12,096."

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/university-of-akron-football-attendance-lowest-in-nation-1.603992

How long can they sustain these losses? I don't see how they can add FCOA schollies to an already unaffordable program.  I wonder what the future is for their program, and for Terry Bowden.  Maybe drop to FCS?  They should swallow their undeserved pride and get YSU on their schedule ASAP to improve attendance, which it would do. 

guinpen:
Interesting read, it is a joke that the ncaa allows schools to buy their own tickets every two years so schools can "pretend" to be "bigtime"

akron is a joke, good for them

The YO Show:
Thats insane! YSU averaged better attendance when the last two home games must have really lowered YSU's average too! I remember hardly a couple thousand people if that at the last two games. If we had that few and still had an average over Akron... man thats unbelievable! Especially their student numbers. They have 10k more students than we did and gave free tuition away for the spring for 3 lucky students who attended a game. If you did that at YSU, and made the drawing at the end of the game, out of 15k students, you'd get at least 10k butts in the seats.

Frankly, Akron should just agree to a home and home series with YSU and drop to the FCS. What can they argue against a home and home series now that they won't be able to say "oh you won't have enough attendance"?

ysufan0505:
University of Akron football is a joke. Always has been.

Penguin Nation:
If they had any brains they'd join the MVFC for FB and Horizon for all other sports. They lose Kent but pick up YSU and CSU as regional rivals. The MVFC could pick up UND to keep even numbers.

When I used to go to the Rubber Bowl, we used to joke that it was a home game. Nothing but red and white filling the stands cheering loudly for the Penguins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version