Countdown to YSU Season Opener!

<< < (12/52) > >>

The YO Show:
57 Days

ScarletRook:

--- Quote from: go guins on July 08, 2015, 02:55:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: ysufan0505 on July 08, 2015, 01:40:42 PM ---
--- End quote ---
I think Wolford did a good job on the O line, WR and QB, but the D was pretty much ignored and cost us a lot of games.  I also think they weren't in good enough shape to compete at the MVC level. 

--- End quote ---

I heard a member of the media address Coach Smith after a game on why they didn't substitute until the game was out of hand either way; was it due to a drop off in talent or what reason?  His answer was "the starters were full scholarship and he felt that substitution took the starters out of their groove."  I think fresh legs would have won the Illlini game and been a difference in several others.

go guins:
ScarletRook
I know a lot of coaches believe in the "momentum" or "continuity" with playing the starters and I understand that, but you also have to work in the "fresh legs" for 2 reasons.  The change of pace can swing momentum your way and the "fresh legs" are your starters next season!  I think the Wolford philosophy hurt us both ways.  But IMO the biggest "sin" of the Wolford era was the passive defense.  I have great hopes for Pelini's coaching.  I have some reservations about his recruiting.  I think it was an issue at Nebraska and we pretty much took a "pass" this season.  Let’s hope the YSU President can lend some direction!

ScarletRook:
go guins:

Television announcers stated often that what allowed Ohio State to beat Alabama and Oregon was their ability to substitute on D to offset the fast paced offense.  (All around coaching helped too)  I also feel much of the Wolford era defensive problems came from his D-coordinators and their passive and read and react defense, but he was the man in charge.  Team chemistry, from the stands anyhow, seemed to be lacking.

Well - I am not here to berate Wolford and wish him the best with the 49ers. I really hoped he could turn the corner while at YSU.  I wish the best to the team and this staff. 

If the YSU President has any imput, it is done elsewhere as my understanding is he isn't around the football program much.

GO GUINS!

paladin:
Since it has been mentioned several times ( not by me, lol ), let me bring up the major concerns. Expectations  are that the D will be improved ( by coaching ?). And then its is specifically said that Pelini will "be a better coach". Ask Nebraska fans how he fared with a superior program but failure in playing ranked opponents.  Finally, some have concerns about  Pelini's recruiting ( and well they should).  Wolf remains ( and may well be proven over time) a superior recruiter over Pelini when comparing each's first class.. I don't see ANY improvement over Wolf here except Pelini MAY have a better DC ( himself)  rather than the sham DC listed. But be careful. Todays offense of choice is the Spread O with some  using it balanced between run and pass and others favoring a more solid approach   ( run dominant or pass dominant). Balanced is very hard to defend unless you have better personnel to defend it with, not scheme per se. YSU had great  O talent for years but little on the D side of the ball (Wolf's years were all of this).  Recruiting -- the life blood of a program,  is discussed by many  as though having "football Players" rather than athletic players is the answer. Buy into that and you can kiss the program down the tubes for another decade. Pelini avoided Florida recruits and opted for Ohio. That is a losing formula.  Some D-I transfers may help temporarily  , but  leave out Florida players and YSU gets average ( OR WORSE) REAL QUICK.  I'll be back to update on both those ideas............................................. ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version