YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Talented Signing Class Will Bolster Men's, Women's Rosters in 2015-16

<< < (2/3) > >>

Observer:

--- Quote from: ysuguins4 on June 09, 2015, 12:36:27 PM ---Zallow is a special talent.  I believe he'll become the greatest Penguin track athlete of all time.

--- End quote ---

Thats quite the statement to make considering YSU has only had one athlete make it on the podium in track and field history.  And nothing about the sprint program, including its lack of regional qualifiers, suggests that it is a possibility.  Not to mention the complete lack; every year; of sprinters from northern climates even qualifying for the national meet.  At best it is a slap in the face of the gentleman mentioned above.  And his former teammate Neu a 2nd team all-american. 

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Observer on June 09, 2015, 08:07:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: ysuguins4 on June 09, 2015, 12:36:27 PM ---Zallow is a special talent.  I believe he'll become the greatest Penguin track athlete of all time.

--- End quote ---

Thats quite the statement to make considering YSU has only had one athlete make it on the podium in track and field history.  And nothing about the sprint program, including its lack of regional qualifiers, suggests that it is a possibility.  Not to mention the complete lack; every year; of sprinters from northern climates even qualifying for the national meet.  At best it is a slap in the face of the gentleman mentioned above.  And his former teammate Neu a 2nd team all-american.

--- End quote ---

I have huge respect for our throwers ..always our strength. However, We have really become quite the destination for sprinters. Sprinters at our level have a tough task. The very top stay track & have Olympic aspirations, the second-tier go football (which is what sprints coach Townsend did), the rest get what they can. Zallow is very talented. His brother (incidentally a two event Horizon league champion this year) says that Chad is even better than himself. That is a Heep of praise. Carl won both the 60 and the 200 this past year. Let's not forget about Antonio who won the horizon in record time this past year at 100m. We are 1 more runner away from being the league's dominant relay team once again. I think with Baltputnis and Striener and the younger Zallow ...we are set for big things. We recruit so well in track it a pleasure to watch.

Paingwin:
Most Respectfully, I now see why the head coach has been there forever despite mundane accomplishments.  Most people, just like high school, and even in college, don't quite get track and field beyond the area they reside, they just don't pay attention to it, and clearly Youngstown is a football town so its not surprising, or to blame. 
It means more than one would think, winning the Horizon league in the 100m, in record time, and still not qualifying for the regional meet, nevermind the NCAA championships.  11 freshman made the 100m final from the hardest region to do so, this is not the Ohio State meet.  In Zallow's event the 110 hurdles only 5 freshman made it to the regional meet (the hurdles get higher in college).  This is not to say Zallow won't achieve greatness although, to be perfectly honest, the history of YSU sprint squad post-season participation under Townsend is anemic.  But it appears clear that the out of nowhere caliber of Grace's performance in his later years was a blessing and a curse.  It brought notoriety for track and field at YSU, other than conference time, but with the lack of knowledge of the world of track and field, it appears few grasp the true depth of what he did, if one is proclaiming that someone not on campus yet will eclipse him. 

IAA Fan:
Pain, I suspect he is coming here for the ability to do more that just hurdles. He is not going to see full-ride from OSU. I have been involved with track since high-school and YSU really does well for what they can offer. As with most schools our size, we will usually excel more in the indoor events, as we can can fill a full squad. Believe me, WATTS has benefited track and baseball more than any other sports. Bobby Coates is an example of what one can do when they put their head and desire together. He has been a regular topic of conversation here on the board. We all bleed red & white. :)

Wick250:
Who knows what the younger Zallow will do.  As a typical YSU fan who knows little about track and cares only about winning Horizon League championships, I had never heard about this kid before national signing day.  Then I saw a local television clip of Zallow sitting at a desk at JFK with five hats in front of him: OSU, ND, PSU, UM, and YSU.  He announced his selection by putting on the penguin hat.  Based upon the recruiting competition, I thought that this could only be very good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version