YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll

<< < (8/11) > >>

IAA Fan:
I agree with you Wick, but the money is not obsolete. In fact, the NCAA has made the financial guarantee more a factor than ever. No one is going to win home games with the minimum bid anymore. I think it was ILS that decided not to bid just a couple of years ago, after their initial offer was rejected. Instead, they decided to increase their round-II bid assuming a round-I road win. I think they went to EKU or JSU instead. Just a couple of years ago, they made each university add the NCAA as on their insurance, which was so unbelievably expensive. There were so many schools threatening to no longer bid, that the NCAA dropped the requirement.

They want full stands as well, as they pay more attention to the ticket sales now that preliminary-round games are televised. Strollo and Tressel before him, let the NCAA know that we would beat any amount and I think we guaranteed 18k or 20k in ticket sales.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on June 08, 2015, 05:23:01 PM ---go guins,

I will be kind and assume that your heart is in the right place.  But you have limited knowledge about FCS football.  Your comments about money are obsolete.  Yes, decades ago, teams bid for home games in every round of the playoffs.  Money talked then.  And YSU was sometimes the beneficiary.  Not any more.  Money has been completely removed from the process.  The NCAA sets the amount for minimum guarantees.  If the higher seed meets that figure, they get the home game....automatically.  Sometimes that results in embarrassment for FCS as it did last fall when one semifinal game was played in a "high school-like" stadium because New Hampshire had the higher seed and met the financial bid.

What Penguinpower, I, and astute FCS fans across the country are up in arms about is simply this.  The NCAA has a procedure in place to select that best field but the selection committee refuses to follow those rules.  Until the selection committee practices transparency, publicly reveals their "secret rankings" during the season, and follows the bylaws about selecting the strongest teams for at-large berths, hypocrisy will reign.

--- End quote ---
You tell me "Money has been completely removed from the process."  Then you proceed to tell me the NCAA sets the minimum and the higher rated team needs to meet the minimum?  Either money is completely removed or it isn't.  Not sure you even read your post, but the guys in the NCAA NEVER forget the money.  That you can believe!  IMO, they are no more than one step better than FIFA. 

Penguin Nation:
A respectable poll, except I'd replace Harvard with ISUb, and put WIU in Cal Poly's spot.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-top-25-and-all-american-team-2015

1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Sam Houston State
4. Jacksonville State
5. Villanova
6. Eastern Washington
7. Coastal Carolina
8. Chattanooga
9. New Hampshire

10. Youngstown State

Former Nebraska coach Bo Pelini steps into a ready-to-win situation at YSU, where school president Jim Tressel guided the Penguins to four national titles in the 1990s. A youthful offense features sophomore quarterback Hunter Wells and junior running back Martin Ruiz. Defensive ends Derek Rivers and Terrell Williams combined for 24 sacks.

11. Northern Iowa
 12. Liberty
13. Montana State
14. James Madison
15. Eastern Illinois
16. McNeese State
17. Montana
18. Idaho State
19. South Dakota State
20. Richmond
21. Eastern Kentucky
22. Harvard
23. Western Carolina
24. Cal Poly
25. Indiana State

IAA Fan:
If I could point out one thing ...YSU has never substantially dropped out of the pre-season polls (that count) basically since Tress left. We had a bad poll once with each of his successors. This is very telling for our program and the respect that it still has throughout the country. It truly adds to an already exciting 2015. This is the first time in year s that I have wanted summer to be over, as I hate winter and fall reminds me of winter.

As an FYI ...three tailgate lots this year. So other are excited as well.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on June 10, 2015, 06:50:46 PM ---If I could point out one thing ...YSU has never substantially dropped out of the pre-season polls (that count) basically since Tress left. We had a bad poll once with each of his successors. This is very telling for our program and the respect that it still has throughout the country. It truly adds to an already exciting 2015. This is the first time in year s that I have wanted summer to be over, as I hate winter and fall reminds me of winter.

As an FYI ...three tailgate lots this year. So other are excited as well.

--- End quote ---
Very good observation regarding national respect shown the Quins in pre-season polls. 
Where is the new tailgate lot?
Any idea how season ticket sales are progressing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version