YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

New Video board for Stambaugh

<< < (2/11) > >>

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Spiderlegs on May 14, 2015, 08:30:53 PM ---We don't have money for faculty and staff salaries, but we have money to fix scoreboards and stadium lights. YSU has lost track of its priorities.

--- End quote ---

Do we know where the money is coming from yet?

ValleyTalk:

--- Quote from: guinpen on May 14, 2015, 09:32:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: Spiderlegs on May 14, 2015, 08:30:53 PM ---We don't have money for faculty and staff salaries, but we have money to fix scoreboards and stadium lights. YSU has lost track of its priorities.

--- End quote ---

Do we know where the money is coming from yet?

--- End quote ---
Typical response you'd see from the uninformed to stir the pot... I'm referring to spider btw.

Wick250:
The money for the construction of new athletic facilities (the Watts, the track, the soccer and softball fields) or for improvements in the existing structures (stadium and gym) never comes from the general fund.  It comes from private donations (ex. Watson and Tressel families or Farmers National Bank) or from the proceeds from the football money game.  As penguinpower suggested,  perhaps this is a benefit from the conversion to Pepsi.  That move made no sense without a big cash payout.

Spiderlegs:
I am told from within the university that the lights are being funded by the YSU Foundation.  I sure hope my source is wrong, but if my source is, I know that lots of other people have been told the same thing. Either way, the Foundation may have some serious damage control to do, either to correct a rumor that is now widely spread or to explain why it is funding this project given some of the other needs of the university.

A new scoreboard is a luxury. If the scoreboard turns out to be Pepsi money, I'd be fine with that. If it is coming from internal funds or the Foundation, no, I am not fine with that at all. I have mixed feelings about the money coming from donations--Tressel and company need to be raising money for the academic side right now, though engineering just got a $2.5 million gift so they obviously are, thus I won't make a big deal about someone wanting to fund stadium lights.

Be careful with the ad hominem remarks.

go guins:
Spiderlegs
Apparently the University has to clear everything with you?  It is my understanding that the Youngstown State University Foundation is an independent, autonomous, private, non-profit corporation.  If you are a contributor, and their contributions don't make sense to you, then my suggestion is to contribute so something that does meet your goals.   Otherwise, I would suggest their actions are appropriate.
It is VERY clear, as has been demonstrated over time at YSU and literally hundreds of universities across the country, that football is a key focus point, rallying point, and point of pride.  Investing money (Pepsi or whoever’s) in football facilities helps to improve the overall experience of the program.   That improved experience helps with growth and pride at the school and in the community and contributes to overall growth and development of the university.  Enrollment has been slipping.  What better way to raise the profile and interest in YSU than to return the football program to prominence?   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version