YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Vindy Article in today's Sunday paper by Scalzo.

<< < (2/4) > >>

IAA Fan:
I completely agree with coach Bo and the tackling. They tackling was noticeably better in the first half. Better than at any time in the coach W era. In the second half, they began to pull back and hit,  but that could have been because it is spring. Bo says he did not have much of a chance to watch film, but he clearly has watched defensive footage.

go guins:
For a team that plays in the "Ice Castle" we have had about 2 games I would call cold in the last 4 SEASONS.  Come on, that's just a catch phrase for quitters!  I thought Hess looked like he didn't have his heart in the last couple seasons and that wasn't cold at all!  Question is where does leadership come from?  You don't appoint anybody.

IAA Fan:
Maybe this is the reason that Bo concentrated on more local product? Maybe he is smarter than many are giving him credit for? We always said that coach W put a lot of talented athletes on the field, but much less in the number of football players. When did YSU ever have the most talent on the field in the 90's? Maybe against Slippery Rock, but seldom ever else. Those guys had the heart and soul of a penguin. Like Penguins ...maybe they waddle on the ground; but in the water as on the football field, they could not be stopped.

go guins:
1AA, not quite ready to go as far as having the best players "seldom", but I did watch them play for the national championship 6 times and thought we had the best players on the field only once in those 6 games (1994) 

IAA Fan:
Good point Go Guins, I made too general of a statement. I was trying to say that seldom had the "hands-down" better teams against the big programs, but we found a way to win. You could not be more right on that 1994 team. I remember the struggles all season & with 2 D-II games on the schedule, I knew we had to win them all.

The first game was a home game vs. Stephen F. Austin (or maybe it was SW Texas State), we struggled and were outplayed. I thought we were the better team, but we could not get our ground game going and were down by 10 late in the 4th-quarter. Tressel put in Shawn Patton who broke loose for a huge TD of 50+ yards. The Leon Jones dropped the SFA QB for loss and forced a punt while they were trying to milk the clock against us. Then we drove late & Wilkins saved us once again; but give SFA credit, they did not fold.

That was the same year we could not do anything against DII N. Alabama. Their defense shut us down completely. In the 4th-quarter, Tressel ran 3-off tackle plays & then punted and let the defense win it for us. I don't think we had more than 1 offensive series in the 4th. I remember that I sent the N. Alabama SID an email at the end of the season with YSU finishing 14-0-1 ...and North Alabama finishing 14-1-0 ...images of both teams holding Sears trophies.

I was just checking out that roster and "holy cow" ...it is a virtual list of hall-of-famers and great ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version