YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Vindy Article in today's Sunday paper by Scalzo.

<< < (3/4) > >>

go guins:
1AA
I remember so often during those days turning to my brother at halftime and saying "we're only down 7, Tressel will figure this one out."  And it seemed he always did! 
I told our tailgate group who was worried about  JT interfering with the football program, that the opposite would be a bigger concern.  I have an open bet that in his time president: the enrollment will go up, the graduation rate will go up, and the endowment fund will double, because that’s just who he is. 

IAA Fan:
And even though I like our schedule with the DI non-schollies ...N. Alabama was better that any of them. They were bigger than we were ...and faster. Our D just wanted it a little more.

Wick250:
Guys, one thing to keep in mind about that D2 Northern Alabama team.  Yes, they were our strongest opponent that season, better than anybody we faced in the playoffs.  But there was a good reason for that.  The NCAA had not yet applied the academic standards for incoming freshmen (prop 48?) to D2 schools.  Northern Alabama had about 25 high quality players who could not get into any IA or IAA program.  They chose to go to that D2 school instead of a junior college, which was there only other option.  A few years later, the NCAA applied the academic standards to D2 and Northern Alabama disappeared from the D2 playoff landscape for many years.  You will never, ever again see a D2 school that was that strong.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 21, 2015, 04:49:32 PM ---Guys, one thing to keep in mind about that D2 Northern Alabama team.  Yes, they were our strongest opponent that season, better than anybody we faced in the playoffs.  But there was a good reason for that.  The NCAA had not yet applied the academic standards for incoming freshmen (prop 48?) to D2 schools.  Northern Alabama had about 25 high quality players who could not get into any IA or IAA program.  They chose to go to that D2 school instead of a junior college, which was there only other option.  A few years later, the NCAA applied the academic standards to D2 and Northern Alabama disappeared from the D2 playoff landscape for many years.  You will never, ever again see a D2 school that was that strong.

--- End quote ---

Interesting read

IAA Fan:
yes ...good stuff Wick!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version