Author Topic: State of men’s basketball  (Read 108917 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Keene, Osandi Vaughn leaving YSU
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
the bottom line is this staff has really struggled to recruit reliable student athletes the past 2 years and now we are really stuck because of it....no time for blame...just get it fixed

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
So that's 6 players in the last year that have transferred out... TIME FOR A CHANGE. I don't care what excuse anybody comes up with. It's unnaceptable. I've never heard of a program have this many players transfer out. Joke.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: State of men’s basketball
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
It's a joke. Plain and simple and it all starts with the 2 men in charge, Mr Strollo and Mr Sloocum. Get ready for the home opener against Youngstown East in front of 100 people!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
gbs20, I'm all for playing at the Covelli Centre if it's feasible.  You're right, many urban universities play at off campus arenas.  If YSU produced winners and had a solid home schedule, fans would come out in droves, including students.   

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
STROLLO...................... that's all that needs said

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
Strollo is not the problem....just about every other sport is doing fine...yes, mens basketball is a mess but Ron is not just the basketball AD....if someone would supply the $$ then Im quite sure that our program would have a new coach for the men...we are really stuck because this staff is recruiting for a new staff next year and that is never a good thing...we should start over now because more than half the team has left and a new coach could hit the ground running by recruiting to his liking ansd wouldnt be expected to win right away with so many new faces...we need a major overhaul now

Spiderlegs

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
I've always contended there should be 1 or 2 faculty assigned to each team as mentors, maybe more in football. This sometimes provides a stabilizing influence. YSU has a few faculty formally involved in athletics, but at such a level so that they aren't really interacting with the players. Of course, the YSU faculty union would probably object to this loudly claiming that faculty are being asked to do more work, so maybe it's not worth the hassle.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
Covelli was a problem when they built it and YSU is not the solution ...nor is the Covelli Center a solution for YSU. They ran out of donations and built Too Small. Why waste the time to drive the players/staff over there?

1. People feel safer on YSU campus.
2. Since the former Chevy Center is no larger; there is no way we can, or would, host anything larger than we already can at Beeghly.
3. Since GM dropped their association with the building, there is no longer any name recognition beyond Youngstown/Warren. I remember when the Ice Capades shot Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons and also returned Pete Cetera (of Chicago and solo fame) at "the beautiful Chevy Center" in Youngstown, Ohio ...for a national viewing audience.  Now I realize that keeping the facility open is more important than the name on it, but it just lost it's flare.  YSU has a more broad name recognition.  When you guys talk about bigger schools playing off campus, you are also talking about facilities hosting major entertainment acts that people drive very long distances to see ...so the facility name means much more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:57:13 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
I've always contended there should be 1 or 2 faculty assigned to each team as mentors, maybe more in football. This sometimes provides a stabilizing influence. YSU has a few faculty formally involved in athletics, but at such a level so that they aren't really interacting with the players. Of course, the YSU faculty union would probably object to this loudly claiming that faculty are being asked to do more work, so maybe it's not worth the hassle.

Good point and there is. It is actually required by the NCAA. Only I believe not assigned to a given sport, outside of the people responsible for tutoring. These professors are actual members of the Athletic Committee. My father was YSU faculty and part of that for many years.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
We don't know what really happened.  If these guys are quitting because they don't like Slocum, then yes, Slocum is the problem and Strollo needs to step in. There may also be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about (academics, curfew violations, illegal substance abuse)--YSU athletics is very good about maintaining confidentiality on such things.

Well said
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »
Playing at the Covelli center will not do anything, especially if Slocum is still the coach. Beeghly is almost just as big.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
1AA Fan, I disagree with what you are saying about the Covelli Centre.  First of all, once chair-back seats are put in Beeghly, the capacity will go down to probably 5,500-5,800 (educated guess).  The Covelli Centre can hold 6,000 for basketball, which includes lodges and has the potential to earn the Covelli Centre/YSU even more money; Secondly, the Covelli Centre is doing a tremendous job, bringing in national acts and has only gained in popularity over the years vs. losing it's flair.  People are obviously attending events at the Covelli, as it has earned a lot of money for the city; Third, the Covelli Centre and downtown is very safe, if people are afraid to go downtown then they mind as well never leave their house or just stay in suburbia.  YSU was supposed to play one big game at the Covelli Centre every year (the 2012 game was against Hiram but there were big plans for the future but I guess it fizzled - read Warren Tribune article below:
http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/577752/YSU-to-play-Hiram-in-first-event-at-Covelli-Centre.html?nav=5024

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
Gee I cannot believe that our Faux Fans did not tell us that Strollo has been moonlighting at SIU
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:15:04 PM by guinpen »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
The Covelli center should never be an option. Playing there will do nothing to help the program. Few enough students come to game as it is, so why make it harder for the ones that do? I am sure that the pep band will like hauling all there stuff over there. Lost parking revenue.

Like I said not an option