YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

New Sport: Women's Bowling

<< < (3/9) > >>

ysufan0505:
Actually, enrollment has been up this year with Jimmy T running things.

paladin:
Check the numbers. Enrollment is WAY DOWN and while may be slightly up this year so far over last Fall    , it has a long way to recover.   Other than landing a name coach, who is carrying a lot of baggage,  I expect football to remain in trouble with attendance. The only increase I see coming is maybe suckering the business community to buy some blocks of tickets which sit empty during game time. Basketball has another year of Jerry next year. It is not the time to be expanding the athletic dept which is woefully run as it is. Next 5 years are critical here. I'm not ready to project cutbacks, but it isn't far off right now.

gbs20:
I dont get the bowling thing. It hasnt been announced and Im not sure how it fits in, unless its a Title IX move.  Applications are up, but they are way up everywhere because the application process makes it inexpensive and easy for students to apply to multiple colleges at the same time. Its not clear whether it will translate into actually students.  Presidents need at least two years to get their plan and people in place. Then we will see where athletics fits in and what can be cut or added.

Penguin Nation:
Applications are way up.  President Tressel has done aggressive outreach to area HSs, and the marketing of the University has improved.   I don't know that it will mean increased enrollment, but it makes sense that it would.

http://www.thejambar.com/ysu-admissions-up-66-percent/

I don't understand the creation of new sports when we are constantly fed excuses that the revenue generating sports are underfunded.  The only way it makes sense, other that having an inept AD with poor decision making skills, would be if we are changing conferences, and aligning our sports to those of a new conference. 

ysufan0505:
I would say things are trending upward Pally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version