YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Stadium Upgrades

<< < (5/6) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 18, 2015, 11:49:24 AM ---Could be why we switched to Pepsi products. Coke bought that last one, maybe Pepsi is giving us a whole board?

--- End quote ---

Coke got cheap and wouldn't help us out.

ELPENGUIN:
Sources tell me the Pepsi contract is for 10 years and includes upgrades such as a new viewboard.

go guins:
ELPENGUIN-sources tell me?? Now I am NOT saying you are full of “stuff”, but common sense tells me if Pepsi is going to pay for a new view board, it would be all over the news.  They do NOT spend this money out of the goodness of their heart; it is all about the advertising and publicity.

IAA Fan:
Two things:

They added the new scoreboard, upgraded the video and added the new bank of lights without telling anyone in advance. It was not a secret or anything, but not any major announcement.

I understood the Pepsi deal is 1-year. I believe they have to accept bids annually though. This does not mean they do anything, but the provider used when we were Coke tailgates in the lower-lot just 2-spaces down & he plans on winning it back next year.

As to the lighting. I am not so certain we are that low. Lighting is determined by the NCAA, but not required for anything other than broadcast requirements. The same requirements have been in place for some time, but it has been some time since we made the post-season. Here are some general guidelines:
Lumen = I consider1ft candle-power:

1. 50-lumens: Minimum lighting to hold night games is 50-lumens.
2. 75-lumens: Minimum lighting to have Regional broadcasts (not just TV).
3. 100-Lumens: Minimum lighting to have National broadcasts (not just TV).
4. 125-lumens: Minimum lighting to have Championship game broadcasts (not just TV).

I sent an email to the NCAA to determine if all DI play-off games are considered "championship". If so, we need to be at 125-lumens.

go guins:
1AA, not sure which "new scoreboard" you are refering to.  The newest is basketball and it was not done without notice or fanfare.
From the Vindy 3/20/12
"Improvements, construction on horizon for YSU"
Over the past five years, Youngstown State athletic director Ron Strollo has wanted to upgrade the Beeghly Center scoreboard.

Over the next few months, he might get his wish.

YSU is looking to replace its current scoreboard with one that will feature a videoboard on all four sides — the latest update to the 40-year-old facility.

“We think we’ve found a price within our budget and hopefully we’ll get that done between now and basketball season,” said Strollo, speaking at the Curbstone Coaches’ Monday luncheon at the Blue Wolf Banquet Center. “We’ve had hurdles to cross and we’ve got to make sure we have the resources but I’m hoping it can be done in time for our first volleyball game.”

The videoboard would allow the Penguins to show video replays and expanded statistics and have more flexibility with promotions, he said.

YSU has invested more than $4 million in Beeghly Center over the past five years, installing a new court in 2008 while updating the lighting, locker rooms and offices.

Plus it is fair to say we have new leadership at YSU and I would bet money they wouldn't miss any opportunity to raise awarness or interest in the football program!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version