YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Pelini vs. Wolf vs. Heacock vs. Tressel

<< < (3/4) > >>

jbags:
This whole thing cracks me up because you can never really judge an entire recruiting class until the 5 year eligibility is exhausted. All I know is I trust what I see and we need to fix only one side of the ball the upcoming season and our head coach has proven that his expertise lies on that side of the ball. Barring major injuries I am optimistic about our chances

IAA Fan:
Also, as it seems that coach P might plan on staying for a few years, we have to give him the same benefit as any other coach. There are many challenges for moving from FBS to FCS. Just a few:

1. Transfers. There are not many transfers as the FBS-level. Coach P is going to have to learn how to check-up on any possible transfers and gain a measure of comfort.

2. Less scholarships and partials.

3. Talent-level. Just how much lower (if at all) is FCS than FBS?

4. Will winning truly resolve attendance? I say there is a great deal more to it.

5. Then there is the fact that our defensive style is going to be different than our offense is at this point. No matter how happy I am that coach P is keeping coach M as OC; coach P needs to see that our offense is different (I think much better) than others we face, especially in the conference. Pelini and the new DC have a big challenge in finding a way to jump this gap ...I know that coach W's staff could never do it.

6. If I were advising coach P, I would also try to distance myself from Mooney (or an HS for that matter). We are Youngstown State University; state titles are not the same as conference and national titles ...we look for the latter. It is good to keep aware of local prospects, but we are located in the steel valley, not a member of the steel valley conference.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
   Tressel was one of a kind, there is only one, and we will never experience that kind of run again.   Heacock took over a great program and it quickly became just average;  1 playoff berth in nine years, and 0-9 vs Northern Iowa.

Wolford, although the style much different that Heacock, was the same.   No playoffs, and couldn't win in November.

The grade on Pelini is incomplete.  I would grade him a C- at Nebraska.  No BCS bowl appearances, and several awful blowout losses.   I don't want to hear about the 9 wins a year, a monkey at Nebraska should win 7 games playing Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, and Rutgers every year, and throw in a couple of stiffs like McNeese State prior to league play.   This past year Nebraska barely beat McNeese, and also played Fresno State and Florida Atlantic in the preseason. 

Also, short temper and unprofessional behavior is not a positive, even though some on this board think that kind of behavior is acceptable.

jbags:
Whats your point? If he beat those cupcakes then should he be able to beat the cupcakes on our schedule? I think so! You havent even given the man a chance before youve condemned him. This is the first time hes been let go from a job, just give him the chance to learn from the reasons he was fired. The problem around here is that no one that came after Coach JT was coach JT.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  Not trying to make any point, just stating the facts.   Agree, only job he was fired from, and it was his only head coaching job of his career, just stating the facts.   Yes, he will beat the cupcakes on our schedule, Heacock and Wolford did that.   Time will tell if he can beat the elite programs in our league.

It isn't all that difficult to make the playoffs in FCS, 24 teams get in, and that is really all YSU fans are asking for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version