Author Topic: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?  (Read 21929 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
What do you expect from a Pelini football team?
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »
The less said about basketball the better.  Too depressing.  Let's get back to the important things.  Please do not turn this thread into comments about language, media relations, or what Pelini did at Nebraska.  Rather, suggest how you expect him to change the culture of our football program.  I will start with three things.

I expect that he will recruit more hard-nosed football players and far fewer talented "athletes" that are impressive physical specimens but tackle like little girls.

I expect that he will make sound halftime adjustments so that we will not relive the spectacle of gaining over 350 yards against Illinois State during the first two quarters then practically nothing in the final two quarters.  We will still lose to more talented teams but not puke games away like Wolford.

I expect that we will not lose at home to inferior opponents like Western Illinois and Indiana State.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
1.) he will not recruit as well as Wolf. More Valley guys who will be slower and not as athletic as Wolf brought in.

2.) YSU will lose more games than Wolf did and record will drop.

3.) attendance will change very little.

BONUS -- more players will be academic casualties.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
You are bashing a guy that has coached and in the NFL and has a Super Bowl ring, has a National Championship ring when he was at LSU. He won at Nebraska, won Bowl games, has a Masters Degree.  WTF are you saying here the guy is a winner.  You are a hater and your credibility is suspect.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Lol, Pally is a joke. NDSU recruits guys who are hard nosed tough football players, that aren't as athletic, develops them and I'd say it works pretty well for them. Hopefully Montgomery is gone so we go back to more of a I-form and run the ball on offense and not have our freshman QB try and win games for us. I expect attendance to improve immediately.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »
Hey, losers, the thread asked for expectations. I gave mine. Care to see if they prove correct ? The name Pelini doesn't mean jacksquat.  NDSU doesn't recruit athletic players ?  ;D. Going to give up the Spread and run the I ?  ;D ;D. This is getting hilarious ! Hey, at the end of the season, the attendance will still suck. Butts in seats will be few  and far  between. The YSU athletic dept can't promote the  name Pelini  and fill up the stadium.  ;D ;D ;D

Wait till you see his first recruiting class. We will chat then,  8)

And I didn't bash anyone. Keep those "expectations" in mind. We'll discuss them in the future.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:56:56 PM by paladin »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
I expect the defense to improve.
I expect recruits will be excited to have the chance to play for a NAME coach.
I expect initial crowds to be larger, not sellouts, but larger at first as some fence sitters will come and check out the new guy.
I expect a different approach to scheduling in the next couple of years.
I expect a playoff game within 3 years.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Spiderlegs

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
1. There will be in-game adjustments. There will be in-game adjustments. There will be in-game adjustments.
2. Less emphasis on slogans--more on performance.
3. There will be accountability. 
4. Talented seniors will not be benched just because they are seniors.
5. It will no longer be acceptable for the defense to routinely allow 5-8 yards on 3rd down.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »
Bo has stated he's very happy with the state of the program left by Wolford. Last year came down to making that one PLAY by one or more players and in game decisions and adjustments by the coaching staff in the close games. We need to find a way to improve in these two areas. I expect all close games in conference play again. The 5 teams that finished ahead of us are reloading not rebuilding. It's nice to know we have talent and youth here but the other 5 have just as much. I've learned it's just to hard to make any bold predictions in the M.V.F.C...sometimes flipping a coin is just as easy!! I don't look for a great recruiting class in 2015 but a much better one in 2016. Big name coach or not nothing will come easy!! GO GUINS

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
We are all overlooking one simple fact that is sure to help us immensely.  Since the days of Dike Beede, YSU had NEVER hired a new coach who had previous head coaching experience on the collegiate level.  For the first time, there will be no on-the-job training. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 04:22:50 PM »
We are all overlooking one simple fact that is sure to help us immensely.  Since the days of Dike Beede, YSU had NEVER hired a new coach who had previous head coaching experience on the collegiate level.  For the first time, there will be no on-the-job training.

Good point

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »

Great point.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
You guys do realize that it is not the head coach that makes halftime adjustments, but rather the OC and DC right? Why does Wolf get all the blame for the past couple years of these non-existent adjustments when the blame should be put on Montgomery, Kravitz, Tracey, and (not really) Bryant?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
You guys do realize that it is not the head coach that makes halftime adjustments, but rather the OC and DC right? Why does Wolf get all the blame for the past couple years of these non-existent adjustments when the blame should be put on Montgomery, Kravitz, Tracey, and (not really) Bryant?

The buck stops at the top, they are in charge, hence they get the blame.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »
But paladin says Bo being coach will have ZERO difference on attendance.....

YOUNGSTOWN

The full impact of Jim Tressel as president of Youngstown State University and Bo Pelini as YSU’s football coach is not yet completely known.

But YSU Athletic Director Ron Strollo has noticed some trends that he believes could lead to big things in the future.

“In my 20 years, we have never seen this amount of interest at this point in the year in buying tickets,” Strollo said. “It has everything to do with Bo being named coach.”

When Pelini was selected as coach in mid-December, the excitement of having the Cardinal Mooney graduate and former University of Nebraska football coach as the field marshal of YSU’s football team already had started to build.

Rumors of Pelini coming back to Youngstown had started after Eric Wolford was fired.

Season tickets, which run $99 for reserved season tickets and $77 for general admission season tickets, typically start to sell in the spring for the upcoming season.

Not this time.

The YSU ticket office already has had people buy 2015 season tickets, and some have purchased Penguin Club Gridiron memberships. Some also are buying more tickets at once — purchasing six tickets instead of four, for example. The waiting list for suites in the stadium has also increased.

As a result, business around YSU is expected to pick up.

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/03/ysu-already-feeling-impact-big-name-trickledown/?nw#sthash.rErSfkvc.dpuf

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
But paladin says Bo being coach will have ZERO difference on attendance.....

YOUNGSTOWN

The full impact of Jim Tressel as president of Youngstown State University and Bo Pelini as YSU’s football coach is not yet completely known.

But YSU Athletic Director Ron Strollo has noticed some trends that he believes could lead to big things in the future.

“In my 20 years, we have never seen this amount of interest at this point in the year in buying tickets,” Strollo said. “It has everything to do with Bo being named coach.”

When Pelini was selected as coach in mid-December, the excitement of having the Cardinal Mooney graduate and former University of Nebraska football coach as the field marshal of YSU’s football team already had started to build.

Rumors of Pelini coming back to Youngstown had started after Eric Wolford was fired.

Season tickets, which run $99 for reserved season tickets and $77 for general admission season tickets, typically start to sell in the spring for the upcoming season.

Not this time.

The YSU ticket office already has had people buy 2015 season tickets, and some have purchased Penguin Club Gridiron memberships. Some also are buying more tickets at once — purchasing six tickets instead of four, for example. The waiting list for suites in the stadium has also increased.

As a result, business around YSU is expected to pick up.

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/03/ysu-already-feeling-impact-big-name-trickledown/?nw#sthash.rErSfkvc.dpuf

Yea I read that also, I am not surprised about the interest, good sign.