Author Topic: Eric Wolford  (Read 31247 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Eric Wolford
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »
Wolf is possibly interviewing for the O-Line job at Pitt..... Interesting.
I'd be surprised if he gets it. They may each be Ursuline grads, but the comparisons end there.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
Wolf is possibly interviewing for the O-Line job at Pitt..... Interesting.
I'd be surprised if he gets it. They may each be Ursuline grads, but the comparisons end there.

If he wants to keep his family in Ytown I hope he gets it.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
Rumor has it Coach Wolf to Kansas St.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
Wolf has accepted the O-Line position at Oklahoma State. Best of luck coach!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
I wish him well.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
I wish Eric Wolford the best. He is still young. He will likely have other opportunities to be a HC at the FCS or FBS level in the future, if that is something he wishes to pursue. He was far from awful as HC at YSU, just was not able to meet the expectations. And, expectations for YSU football are among the highest in FCS. Had he been at Indy State, MSU, South Dakota, SIU or even ISU, he'd likely still be HC with the same records his teams had at YSU.

Best of success Eric!!!!!!!!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
He should do well at Okie St. Based on continued improvement each year here, he'll have a resume' that  will lead to another head job, easily at a better school  than YSU. YSU pulled the plug too quick on him. Okie St. should win and maybe big. Just a guess, but given the connections and his background , HC at Kansas St. isn't out of the question. Will be hearing more about the Wolf in the  future. Good luck, coach.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:23:33 PM by paladin »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
Would agree with you, but he should have held out out for a I-AA/FCS job in the south at a lesser program. Without his staff he would not make it anyway. His success here was all coach M & his downfall was the inability to develop an aggressive defense with coach M'f finesse offense. Pelini will have the same issue. Wolf is in an assistant position coach ...had they hired him at OC, I might be able to see where you are coming from Paladin. I suggest his wife was hired first.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 01:06:34 AM »
Eric Wolford left the program better than he found it.

I'll never forget the Pitt game, the win at NDSU, or leading Penn State in his very first game.

Happy Travels.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:38 AM »
Would agree with you, but he should have held out out for a I-AA/FCS job in the south at a lesser program. Without his staff he would not make it anyway. His success here was all coach M & his downfall was the inability to develop an aggressive defense with coach M'f finesse offense. Pelini will have the same issue. Wolf is in an assistant position coach ...had they hired him at OC, I might be able to see where you are coming from Paladin. I suggest his wife was hired first.

Montgomery is not that good.  His offenses fail in big games because his play calling becomes too conservative and lacks any creativity.  It looks like a video game where the players run the same play over and over.  I would also like to point out that under Wolford Defense was not as emphasized and the best players were on offense.  Montgomery had the advantage of having the best players.  With as many running backs we had on the bench I would have moved somebody to LB.  As you know we have struggled at LB since Wolford came here (until last year).  Montgomery's offense couldn't move the ball on NDSU again this year and we were embarrassed.  We lost to an Indiana State team we should have beaten because his offense couldn't move the ball.  Meanwhile the defense which has been a problem for years under Wolford actually kept the scoring down to within reason even after being on the field the entire game.  You can't sit there and tell me that he is the best thing since sliced bread.  Montgomery has issues and is part of the reason why we don't win against the best teams.  How about throwing to the two TE's that were complete studs?  He wasted them. Wasted.   Pisses me off.  How many times has he called a play without an outlet receiver? 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 08:03:23 AM »
Great memories Nation!

Although I cannot agree he left the program better off than when he found it.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:21 AM »
  I agree with Penguinpower, not sure why there seems to be a strong core of Shane Montgomery supporters.  Offense clearly backed up this year, and the Indiiana State showing was pathetic.  Even the win over lowly South Dakota, for three quarters the offense did nothing.

Also appears he can't get a better job, failed as a head coach at Miami, Oh.  I too wish Coach Wolford the best of luck.  But it is unrealistic to think Eric Wolford could be the next head coach at Kansas State. going from O line coach to head coach at Kansas State is not gonna happen.  Wolford would need to revive his head coaching career at a small FBS before being ever being considered for the head coaching job at a top 25 program.

Wolford may be better suited to be a top notch assistant coach and not a head coach.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
We should probably have an I hate/Love Montgomery thread. Coach M was very successful at Miami. As OC, his offenses were #1 in the MAC and in the top-20 in the nation. Both of his QB's and his top receiver made the NFL. As head coach he was less successful; so had he been hired as our HC, you could have a point.

The truth is, coach M is everything that YSU has been over the past 5-years. Love him or hate him ...it is the truth. Do I prefer our old smash-mouth style of offense under Narduzzi, (some of) Tressel and Heacock? ABSOLUTELY. However, if we can win with this type of offense, than more power to him. Do I think a finesse offense breeds weak finesse defenses (aka: OK State and Oregon)? I have said so 100 times on this board. Again that is the major battle that Pelini will have to face. It is hard to produce a defense that is like the majority of teams in the MVFC, when you offense is not like the majority of those in the MVFC. I also think that Monty's offenses are very complicated and more suited to the NFL and maybe some high-end DI programs. He toned his offense down quite a bit last year ...maybe even too much.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:13:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »
Wolf's problem here was his D and his personality. If he had hired a competent DC, YSU would have made the playoffs multiple times. As it was , they were one game out many years. The recruiting was awesome. The O was high scoring. Discipline was firm. He was out in the community and with charities. Winning record and   it kept improving. YSU screwed up ( again) in pulling the plug. But his personality made it easy for the AD to scapegoat him ( and I suspect the extension negotiations also played a role). That said, He doesn't need to be a OC. He got the HC job here simply being a position coach that was a great recruiter. He has successful HC experience and successful coaching at major winning programs. The clincher is Snyder at KSU is really old and Wolf was a major FAVORITE  OF HIS AS A PLAYER. Snyder  won't be around coaching much longer and KSU will favor a Snyder protégé as a replacement. Wolf being at Okie St. and probably a major winning program again will make him a strong candidate. With recommendations from Spurrier, Snyder and others, he will be top shelf. And , KSU or not, Wolf will be at the top of a lot of lists for recruitment alone but successful coaching stops ( and as a HC) will seal the deal. He'll be a D-I HC. He just needs to line up some DC friends, lol
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:07:31 PM by paladin »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
I thought Wolford did a very respectable job in his tenure here. Let's face it our conference is what the S.E.C. has been to college football over the past decade. I have to agree will pally on this one. They pulled the plug to early next year would have been the year. The offensive line he has put in place is hands down the best line in F.C.S. period. They have a chance to be a very special group and several of them will be playing on Sundays. Best of luck coach you will be a great asset to the Oklahoma State football program