Author Topic: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?  (Read 21981 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
I know alot of people on here are not found of Paladin. My question is why? This is a message board, for people to gice their opinions, express thoughts and engage in discussions. How "loyal" Paladin or ANY other poster is to YSU is irrelevant. This is NOT a cheerleading site. If players are reading this site, I'd advice coaches find a way to have this site and others blocked on all devices used by players. Also, this is D1, so if coaches, players, AD's...etc want praise when they perform well, criticism comes with not performing up to par. Anyone who cannot deal with that does not belong at YSU or invovled with D1 athletics.

Dan does a good job of monitoring the site to make sure blatant personal attacks are not being made against coaches, players and staff. When he sees it happening, he warns people, if they keep it up he bans the user name. I've also witnessed him delete messages that were blatant PERSONAL attacks. Negative comments about a coach, player or Administrator/Staff which are about their job performance is NOT a personal attack. Saying a person is a bad coach because they are fat is a personal attack. Saying a person beats their spouse or significant other is a personal attack. Implying a person abuses drugs or alcohol are personal attacks. Saying a person is a dumb a&& as a person IS A PERSONAL ATTACK. Saying someone coaches like a dumba$$, or that some of the decisions were dumb a$$ or bone headed is NOT a personal attack.

Expressing an opinion that certain people are not performing their jobs at a level that is acceptable, and naming such people is NOT a personal attack. Again, that comes with having a job that put's people in the public eye. If ANY of you played sports and/or coached, then you know the types of things said at games. The things spouses, significant others, family and friends hear in the stands. The things that can be heard on the field, court, sidelines..etc. Again, it comes with the territory, especially Varsity High School and higher. Not saying I condone alot of the things said in the stands, just saying at times that I played sports, coached or when helping my dad coach or going to watch his teams, I knew I may well hear things that were quite harsh. And, now that type of thing has drifted all the way down to 7-8 year olds playing little league baseball. Saw it with my nephew. At that age, it is totally inappropriate.

Paladin can act like an A$$ at times. I do not know him as a person, so I'm not going to say he is an A$$ as a person. And, while he can act like an A$$ at times when posting, so can others. He gives his opinions. He adds his insight based off his knowledge and past experiences. Sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong. The thing is, he is right alot more than he is wrong. As far as admitting when wrong, that is not one of his strong points. Thing is, that could be said for several other people who post on this site. T ome, Paladin is like a dog with a loud, scary bark. Let him bark, and he is harmless. Try to pick an argument with him and call him names, and he will respond in kind. There are ways of disagreeing with people other than stooping to name calling and other kinds of childishness. And, ignoring the comments all together can work quite well.

I remember Wick250 getting crucified as "not a real fan" when starting the thread about what qualities people wanted in the next coach, or something to that extent. It was after the loss to WIU. I think Wick250 may have also said YSU would not win another game the rest of the year, or 2 games the rest of the year. YSU won 3 in a row, people were tearing him apart. And, then YSU hit the meat of the schedule, lost the final 3 games, finished 6-5/4-4, and guess what, Wolford was fired. YSU has a new HC. There are many things that can be said of Wick250. As with all of us, some positive and some negative. One thing that CANNOT be said if knowing anything at all about Wick250 is that Wick is not a true fan. Wick has likely been a YSU fan longer than some who post on this board have been alive. A fan well before it was fashionable to be a YSU fan. Before Stambaugh Stadium and even before Beeghly Center. And, having said that, the trueness of ones fandom(I made up those two word) is irrelevant to rational, intelligent debate/discussions.

One last point, while I'm on my soapbox. The comments about the older fans, especially during football season get's tired. Many of those people have been going to games since the school was called Youngstown College. Since the days of football at Rayen or South, and basketball at South. Those of us who are younger(I'm 47) can only hope that when we get into our late 60's, 70's, 80's we are able to attend sporting events in person. Heck, that we are eve still alive and in somewhat good health, especially once getting into 70's, 80's and even 90's. So, if younger, try and cut them some slack. They may not stand and cheer. Some may knit. But, they are at the games, and likely have been going to games longer than many of us have been alive, myself included.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Well said.

I truly enjoy Paladin's comments and this would be a lesser forum without him.

IMO, true fans analyze and criticize.  Both positive and negative feedback inspires improvement.  Those that only cheerlead are harmful to a program as that results in a lack of progress and improvement.

I do think the personal attacks on other posters that occur here would not be tolerated on any other forum I participate in.  Nothing wrong with some humorous pokes, but when your avatar is directed at another poster.....you should be banned for failure to remove....and then receive a referral for a Behavioral Health evaluation.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
Well said.

I truly enjoy Paladin's comments and this would be a lesser forum without him.

IMO, true fans analyze and criticize.  Both positive and negative feedback inspires improvement.  Those that only cheerlead are harmful to a program as that results in a lack of progress and improvement.

I do think the personal attacks on other posters that occur here would not be tolerated on any other forum I participate in.  Nothing wrong with some humorous pokes, but when your avatar is directed at another poster.....you should be banned for failure to remove....and then receive a referral for a Behavioral Health evaluation.
Excellent post!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
I also use the free message board for UNLV. There's is run by Rivals.com, so there is one that requires a subscriptions, then a free forum for the rest of us peasants  :o

Anyway, on that board, people express a wide range of views. People disagree. But, for the most part, no personal attacks. Disagreements, harmless smack talk/humorous pokes to each other at times, but nothing like on this site.

In fairness to Dan, he has told me that it is almost impossible to totally ban people with non static IP addresses. Also, he likes to warn people, give them short suspensions, then let them back on. Which, considering we are adults, sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, alot of adults act like immature teenagers. See, I can handle immaturity from teenagers, because it is part of being a teenager. With adults, not alot of tolerance. And, when people who claim to be grads of YSU come on here and act immaturely, that reflects negatively on YSU. It's ironic how many people that go on rants about "not being true fans" or "not caring about YSU" will state they are grads of YSU, then make a post that is a poor reflection on the quality of graduates produced by YSU.

As a person who is in therapy, and has been since 1989, I can tell you there are tons of people who think they have no mental health issues, but are fooling themselves. And, it really is not all that hard to be able to tell when this is true of a person. Sadly, forums like this, along with news sites and other places one can post without using their true identity seem to draw people of this ilk. And, in time, it causes people like Indy, IP, ElPenguin and others to eventually stop posting, or post only on rare occasions.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »
Lets_talk, your message is quite true. I am so hurt by reading the posts on this forum that deal with personal attacks and just hateful appraisals of YSU sports administrations and sports teams.  I rarely post since my views are considered of the cheerleader type.  I support all the sports and you will find me at various events, even swimming meets, I do have opinions but it is best at times to keep them to myself and like IP I am disgusted with some of the posters who think they know all of the inside of the teams because they have heard this and that. I often view other schools forums and none I repeat none show the hostility that this forum does. I hope we are still all for YSU and I hope the future will be brighter.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »
Some nice, well thought out and meaningful posts, so how about we get back to the excitement of the new coach and what we expect.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
One big subject that was mentioned by the announcers -

Several of the YSU games, the television announcers stated that Youngstown needed to get fresh legs in on their D-line and were surprised they didn't rotate players.  My understanding is that is something that Coach Bryant and Coach Sims locked horns over. 

The announcers for the Ohio State games against Michigan State, Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon stated that OSU kept fresh legs in on the D-line. 

The announcers and Coach Meyer also stated that the players were playing for each other.  I hope that is something that will happen at Youngstown. 

This is a new year and a new season with a coach.  Wishing them all the very best.   GO GUINS!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
As a NDSU fan,  I expect pelini to give the players of YSU alot of confidence.  They can even act like they are playing FBS or "big boy" football and that will parlay into some inspired play from YSU.

if Pelini can instill more of a physical attitude of your defense than that will make YSU the #2 team in the MVFC.

NDSU at YSU should be a national televised game hopefully and ill be there to defend my YSU parking lot record of 14 shots.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »
Correction. We are retaining our OC. If we can get a defense, that makes us the #1 team in the MVFC. Furthermore. Why Coach Wolf did not walk into the locker-room with campus police and 4 Sears trophies I will never know. Now that we are no longer the sole active FCS leader in championships ...I hope Pelini takes one of those trophies and uses it to beat some pride into the team. Maybe we can pull back into the lead.